Roger Federer ends career after Laver Cup – In this match, the Swiss knew: “It’s over!”

“The last set against Hurkacz was one of the worst hours of my career,” Roger Federer revealed in an interview with “Neue Zürcher Zeitung”. His Wimbledon-Aus against the Pole on June 28, 2021 in just 1:48 hours should remain the last game of his career.

“I realized that nothing works anymore. It’s over,” admitted the Swiss, who had already undergone two knee surgeries by then.

“The disappointment felt like fireworks in my head. I didn’t know how to continue with this knee,” said Federer after the bitter defeat at the place where he had previously triumphed eight times and thus became the record winner. A month and a half later, the maestro underwent a third operation on his right knee.

make head

Exclusive to Federer: that was the best game of my career

9 HOURS AGO

But the former world number one (310 weeks) couldn’t shake the pain, last week the Swiss announced the end of his career after the Laver Cup (live on free TV on Eurosport 1 and discovery+ from September 23 to 25) .

Federer before his last performance: ‘Tennis was my life’

Federer: Mirka “I was sorry”

A time of suffering for Federer, but not just for the Swiss himself. “The last few years were probably even harder for Mirka than for me. She didn’t enjoy watching me play with all the injury problems,” said the 41-year-old, admitting: “I felt sorry for her. So I guess that it’s actually a relief for her.”

For his last appearance, the Swiss initially had no specific tournament in mind. “It was mainly about playing in front of an audience again. At a certain point I realized that it probably wasn’t enough for Grand Slam tournaments anymore. But you can dream,” said Federer, who also wanted to play at his home tournament in Basel at the end of October. open on the ATP tour.

“I ended up in 250 and 500 tournaments, I also liked to train for that, that would have been enough for me. Until it became clear: that is no longer possible,” said Federer.

Roger Federer dreams of a doubles with Rafael Nadal in his last appearance

Photo credit: Getty Images

Federer dreams of doubles with Nadal

Federer will also not be able to participate individually in the Laver Cup, he announced on Tuesday. “That was pretty clear in advance. That’s why it was no longer an option to participate in the Swiss Indoors at the end of October,” said Federer. Instead, he dreams of a final performance alongside Rafael Nadal.
“I’ll probably play the doubles here on Friday night, and that’s it,” Federer said in the Neue Zürcher Zeitung.

But after more than 450 days without a race, excitement is still building for the 41-year-old Swiss, as he admitted at an exclusive press conference ahead of the Laver Cup on Wednesday. “For the past two or three weeks I’ve had a lump in my stomach.” Federer added: “I’m nervous because I haven’t played for so long. I hope I can be quite competitive.”

Federer: ‘I was worried at the beginning’

Despite initial concerns, the fact that Federer would only compete in doubles at the ATP event in London was not an issue. “I also had concerns in the beginning,” Federer said at the press conference: “It is an ATP tournament that I want to respect. At the same time, I know my limits.”

But after consultations with captain Björn Borg and John McEnroe and those in charge, nothing stood in the way of Federer playing in doubles before the glittering career came to an end after 103 titles on the London tour.

After his retirement, the 41-year-old tennis player wants to remain faithful and remain in the spotlight. “I don’t know exactly what my future will look like, but I don’t want to completely distance myself from the sport that gave me everything,” Federer told Swiss broadcaster “RTS” the night before.

Federer looks back on time without fans: ‘It wasn’t fun’

Federer will ‘not be a ghost’

At Wednesday’s press conference, Federer especially thanked his supporters, without whom most of his successes would not have been nearly as emotional. The Corona period, in which most matches were played for empty ranks, was therefore “not fun”. “Without the fans, more than 80 percent of the emotions would have been lost,” said the Swiss.

Federer admitted at the press conference that he would miss these interactions with the spectators.

In this regard, the 41-year-old made it clear: “I just want to let the fans know that I won’t be a ghost”, promising: “I love seeing people again and I want to say that to the fans. Also: you will see me again. I do not know to what extent.”

Roger Federer says goodbye to fans at Center Court after quarter-finals at Wimbledon

Photo credit: Getty Images

Federer’s children ‘had to cry’

The publication of his decision was correspondingly emotional. “I am very happy that I was able to complete the career I had,” said the Swiss, who admitted to being “relieved” at the announcement.

He shed “a tear or two”, as he revealed in the “Neue Zürcher Zeitung”.

But he wasn’t the only one who was sad about the dismissal, Federer’s kids also got emotional when Papa Roger told them the news: “Three out of four were crying. But they always said: stop playing tennis, we want to be with you. to ski.”

You may also be interested in: Federer breaks his silence: no singles – last doubles with Nadal?

Federer admits to Laver Cup: ‘I’m nervous’

make head

Federer responds to dismissal: “Won’t do like Borg”

16 HOURS AGO

make head

Federer: That’s what I regret most in my career

17 HOURS AGO

Leave a Comment